What does it mean to be Fear Free Certified?
We are proud to have Fear Free certified professionals on our team who are dedicated to caring for your pet’s emotional well-being as well as his or her physical well-being. Our team has completed Level 1 of Fear Free training and Dr. Kuhn has completed Level 2!
What do we do to meet this goal?
- If your pet would be more comfortable waiting in the car rather than the waiting room, let us know, and we’ll be glad to accommodate you.
- We will attempt to bring you into the exam room a few minutes before your pet will be seen because we’d like the two of you to spend some calm time together. This will allow your pet to explore the room and relax a little first.
- Special calming chemical signals, known as pheromones, are infused throughout our exam rooms and treatment area. Our staff also spray themselves with this same pheromones. Only dogs and cats can smell these pheromones, which they find comforting and relaxing.
- We promise to keep our voices low and calm and never to use force to examine, test, or treat your pet. We’ll use gentle control techniques, innovative tools, and medication when necessary to ensure your pet’s emotional health isn’t sacrificed for the sake of medical care.
- Unless it’s medically inappropriate, we’ll be giving your pet lots of treats during the visit. This is so he or she starts associating a trip to the veterinarian with good things! That will keep stress levels low. Bringing your pet into the appointment hungry can help this process along!
- Some pets prefer to be examined up high, on the table, in your lap, in their carrier, or on the floor. We’ll go where we need to go to make your pet comfortable during the exam.
- We’ll also use specialized distraction techniques to keep your pet focused on good experiences while we perform procedures such as injections that might cause brief stress or pain.
- If your pet has shown signs of bad stress and anxiety before a visit to the hospital, pre-visit sedation or supplements may be recommended to help take the edge off and keep your pet happy and relaxed.